Thursday, August 14, 2014

No PD (peritoneal dialysis) for you!

Dialysis disappointment

Of course, dialysis itself is a disappointment at first, until the alternative is explored.  The alternative is death.

At first, nine and a half years ago, I had the choice of Peritoneal dialysis (PD) and Hemodialysis (Hemo) and chose Hemodialysis.  But recently, I chose to explore peritoneal dialysis due to some perceived benefits.   Those included having a home treatment and not using needles to stick my body and the ability to travel more easily.

I had my surgical consultation today on the process.  The doctor not only threw cold water on my idea of PD she flat out told me not to do it.  She told me the PD procedure introduces huge problems for the patient that Hemo does not.  The stomach "will" herniate (not might but will) and the infections that develop will result in massive hospitalization.  Pain in my stomach will cause problems I do not anticipate.  My prior heart situation will be made worse by the surgery and the intrusive PD catheter.  Then she refused to do the surgery unless my heart surgeon certified me for the surgery.

I came home to find an article on PD.  It noted PD is good if you are just beginning dialysis and it is your first treatment choice.  However, after a year or so PD patients generally go to hemodialysis.  Death will surely accelerate due to the PD procedure and the body will not receive proper cleansing due to the inferior process.  The article clearly said mature Hemo patients should not go to PD from Hemo.

So, the Idea of PD, for me, is dead.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got the straight goods on this.w

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reality is the best medicine. Sorry I didn't realize my profile does not ID me. Maxzoom is Dennis.

    ReplyDelete